news & events

News & Events
Modification of Child Support in Indiana

Modification of Child Support in Indiana

Life is full of changes, which is why Indiana allows child support orders to be modified. There are two situations where Indiana allows child support modification:

  1. Upon a showing of changed circumstances so substantial and continuing as to make the terms of the previous child support order unreasonable; or
  1. Upon a showing that a party has been ordered to pay an amount in child support that differs by more than twenty percent (20%) from the amount that would be ordered by applying the child support guidelines; and the order requested to be modified or revoked was issued at least twelve (12) months before the petition requesting modification was filed.

The first situation allows you to modify child support when there has been a substantial change in circumstances, and it would be unreasonable to ask you to continue paying the amount from the current child support order. Examples of this include (but are not limited to) getting laid off from your job or going to jail.

The second situation allows you to modify child support if the current child support is 20% more or less than what the support would be if a court decided the child support obligation today. It is important to note that to use this, the current child support order must have been issued at least 12 months before you request modification. Circumstances in which this could be used include getting a substantial raise or taking a significant pay cut.
Please note that you cannot stop paying child support (or pay a lower amount) just because money is tight. If you need to modify child support, contact McNeelyLaw today. Call us at 317-825-5110 to talk to an experienced family law attorney who can help navigate you through child support modification.

This McNeelyLaw LLP publication should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion of any specific facts or circumstances. The contents are intended for general informational purposes only, and you are urged to consult your own lawyer on any specific legal questions you may have concerning your situation.

Welcome To Our Blog. Looking for a specific post?