news & events

News & Events
When Does Child Support End?

When Does Child Support End?

So, you’re paying child support. But when does that obligation end? The general rule is that the obligation to pay child support ends when the child turns 19 years old. However, there are four major exceptions to this rule as laid out in Indiana Code § 31-16-6-6.

First, child support ceases if the child is emancipated before becoming 19 years old. In this situation, child support terminates at the time of emancipation. It is important to note that an order for educational needs may continue until further order of the court.

The second exception is when a child is incapacitated. In this case, the child support continues during the incapacity or until further order of the court.

Third, if the child is (1) at least 18 years old; (2) has not attended a high school or a postsecondary educational institution in the past 4 months and is not enrolled in a high school or postsecondary educational institution; and (3) is, or is capable of, supporting themself through employment, then support will be terminated.

Finally, if a 17- or 18-year-old is a full-time high school student and a parent or guardian of the child files notice advising the court that the child continues or will continue to be enrolled in high school, the child support will continue until and terminate upon the child’s graduation from high school. Basically, if a parent of a 17- or 18-year-old files notice under Indiana Code § 31-16-6-6(c), child support is effectively tied to the child’s school enrollment. Once they graduate, child support ceases if this notice is given to the court.

If you have a child support issue, contact McNeelyLaw today. Call us at 317-825-5110 to talk to an experienced family law attorney who can help navigate you through your case.

This McNeelyLaw LLP publication should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion of any specific facts or circumstances. The contents are intended for general informational purposes only, and you are urged to consult your own lawyer on any specific legal questions you may have concerning your situation.

Welcome To Our Blog. Looking for a specific post?